Wednesday 18 April 2012

I lived on a postcard


The twists and turns of life are often unexpected, uninvited and sometimes they provide unwanted challenges. 
Before I left for my Bali trip I was asked to resigned because I didn’t value the Director, his second-in-charge and ‘other teachers’.  I think here he was referring to the teacher that would talk with you then repeat the conversation – with her interpretations, right or wrong, to him.  Worse, he would take action.  Misguided me thinks.  So you can imagine the philosophical differences that existed.
For the last few months I’ve felt that I’ve been marking time until my contract ends in September.  I was training for the Tour de Timor, yet even that seemed lifeless; like I was just waiting, waiting, waiting. 
Now I am heading back to Australia.  I’m culling my possessions – hopefully to under the excess baggage restrictions.  I’m catching up with friends and generally reflecting on the last seven months.
It hasn’t ended the way I had hoped and yet, I am so much richer for the wealth of experiences and amazing people I’ve encountered.
Yesterday was not a very good day; some plans did not come to fruition and I was feeling quite despondent.  I went to an ‘international mover’ to ask how much it would cost to freight my bike back to Australia.  They thought about it and said it would be cheaper to take it on the plane.  They asked if I had a box and I said no.  So here’s what they did – they found a box, loaded it, me and my bike onto the back of a truck, drove me home, gave me two rolls of packing tape, showed me how to fold the box so that it would take the bike, then showed me how to pack the bike.  What did that cost?  A thank you and a smile!!! 
Even when life throws us a curve ball, it gets better.  Though we may not think it at the time, it truly does.
The people I’ve met here are awesome.  They are calling and offering support – and taking some of my stuff off my hands too J
We’re meeting at Dili Beach Hotel on Saturday night for a final drinks session.  It seems appropriate.  I’m sitting here now, drinking tea and writing this final blog entry – just as I have written many other blog entries.  This is my home away from home; my little piece of Australia in a place that has both challenged and exhilarated. 
I was trying to explain to a friend in Bali what Timor was like: tepid water, bad water pressure, horrendous roads, appalling traffic and non-existence driving skills, poor cooking facilities, limited food choices, dust and heat.  Everything I said seemed to reinforce the image of a place perhaps people might like to avoid . . . and yet . . . and yet . . . despite all of that it has stolen a piece of my heart. 
What the future holds is the great unknown, a beautiful canvas on which I can paint whatever I choose – a bit like my experience of Timor really.  I’m leaving now.  That’s the way it needs to be but for seven amazing months I lived on a postcard and I wouldn’t change a thing.

1 comment:

  1. You have provided very good information and this is very important. And people like to read valuable information of this sort. Thank you so much for this
    Vlore Stamps

    ReplyDelete